Wait Before You Walk - Information for Young People
Independent travel is a key milestone for young people. With this independence comes the need for you to take more responsibility for your own safety. Avoiding distracting influences, when crossing the road or getting on or off public transport, is important to keep you safe.
What are the biggest distractions when crossing the road?
- Listening to loud music
- Making phone calls or text messaging
- Playing around
- Talking to friends.
So what can you do to stay safe?
- Give your full attention when crossing the road
- Never cross the road in front or behind a bus, or between two buses: wait until the bus leaves and the road is clear in all directions.
- Don’t use your mobile to talk or text while crossing
- Turn down your music devices or better still, turn them off when you cross the road
- Never take chances getting across the road: it is easy to underestimate the speed of a moving vehicle.