Tertiary SmartRider

Because you’re still a few years away from making a decent wage this SmartRider card will let you travel at a discounted rate. 

Who can get one?

You may apply for a Tertiary SmartRider only if you are:

  • enrolled in full-time studies at a Western Australian University or TAFE College, or
  • a secondary school student attending school in the year you turn 19 or older, or
  • an interstate primary or secondary school student.

You are unable to apply for a Tertiary SmartRider if you are

  • a part-time student
  • studying by correspondence
  • enrolled in an interstate or overseas institution
  • a visiting interstate or overseas tertiary student


Tertiary SmartRider is the only ID we accept

We don’t accept student identification from your educational institution as proof that you are a full-time tertiary student. If you want a concession fare, you must carry your Tertiary SmartRider with you, even if you buy a cash ticket. No other form of concession will be accepted.

If you’re travelling with a Tertiary SmartRider you may be required to provide additional identification to prove the Tertiary SmartRider that you are using belongs to you. Also your Tertiary SmartRider is required to be in ‘working condition’. Damaged/unreadable SmartRiders are not accepted as valid proof of concession.




Tertiary SmartRider Registration

Registration of your Tertiary SmartRider card is automatic.

For more information, see Register SmartRider.

How to obtain

The process for obtaining a Tertiary SmartRider depends on whether you attend a participating or non-participating institution. A participating institution has an arrangement with us to provide data on students who apply for a Tertiary SmartRider through the institution or its appointed SmartRider Retail Sales Outlet.

The participating institutions are Curtin University, Edith Cowan University, Murdoch University and the University of Western Australia. The non-participating ones are Notre Dame University and all TAFE Colleges.
  • If you attend a participating institution, find out from them what process they have established for you to obtain a Tertiary SmartRider.
  • If you attend a non-participating institution in the Perth metropolitan area, apply at a Transperth InfoCentre or Transperth Retail Sales Outlet.
  • If you attend a non-participating institution in a regional area, complete the Application for Tertiary SmartRider (Regional) form. Post this form together with a $5.00 cheque or money order to the address on the form.

Purchase cost and minimum initial value – new and replacement cards

The standard purchase cost is $5.00. However, this may vary if you are attend a participating institution and use their process to obtain your Tertiary SmartRider.

The minimum initial value is $5.00.

Your Tertiary Smartrider can also be used as proof of eligibility for concession on Transwa services. 

SmartRider Benefits

Save 20%

Get a 20% discount off fares with SmartRider Autoload.

Learn about Autoload.


Use your SmartRider to pay for parking at stations.

Learn about Parking.

Frequently Asked SmartRider Questions

What if I lose my SmartRider card?
If you’ve registered your SmartRider and it’s lost or stolen we can transfer your remaining balance to your new card. Unfortunately there’s no protection for unregistered cards. Make sure you let us know as soon as you notice it’s gone so we can hotlist it. For more info go to Lost or Stolen Cards.
How do I tag on and off?
At the start and end of each journey, place your SmartRider card over the picture of the card on a card reader on the bus, on the ferry or at the train station. A beep and green light confirms a successful tag on or tag off. When you tag on, the card reader will display your remaining balance. When you tag off, the card reader will display the amount of the fare deducted and your remaining balance. For more information go to Using SmartRider.
How do I check my SmartRider balance?
There are a number of ways to check your balance. Go to Check SmartRider Balance.
Who is eligible for the student fare?
If you’re a primary or secondary school student you can use the Student SmartRider. You’ll get the student fare for any journey Monday – Friday during the school year and concession fares on the weekend and during the Christmas school holidays.
How do I register my SmartRider card?
There are a number of ways you can register your SmartRider. For details go to Register SmartRider.
What is Autoload?
Autoload enables a direct debit to be made automatically from a nominated bank account or credit card to your SmartRider when the balance on your card falls below the low-value threshold of $6 for standard users and $3 for concession users. Register for Autoload through My Account
More information on Autoload can be found here.
Can I use my Digital Wallet as proof of concession?
If you have a Health Care Card or Pensioner Card you can provide proof of your concession entitlement by showing the card on your phone through Centrelink's Digital Wallet.
What is a pending action?
A pending action is a change/update that is waiting to be applied to your SmartRider.

Your SmartRider stores information including your concession status, Autoload status and card balance. When we need to update this information, a pending action is created so that the information on the card can be updated.

Pending actions are generally available to your SmartRider the day following their creation, except BPAY which can take several days to become available. For example if you activate Autoload online through My Account today Autoload will be available to be applied to your card tomorrow.

In order to update your card with this new information you are required to tag on. We recommend that you travel within a week of the pending action being created. Alternatively, if you do not need to travel, you can tag on, wait 15 seconds, and then tag off (preferably at any train station).

This will ensure that the update is applied to your SmartRider. If you do not travel/ tag on in the first week, or if it has been over two weeks since you last used the card, it is possible that the pending action will not be applied to your SmartRider on the first try. If this is the case you will need to travel or tag your SmartRider on and off over two to three consecutive days.

Please contact the Transperth InfoLine (13 62 13) if you have trouble applying a pending action.
My Autoload won't activate when I have no value on my card
Autoload is designed to activate even if the card is new and you have no previous balance on the card, though unfortunately there can be instances where this doesn’t occur. If this happens to you please contact the InfoLine on 13 62 13 or visit an InfoCentre in Perth.
Why does the balance come off my card when Autoload fails?
When you tag on under the low value threshold we will add the value of your Autoload onto your card immediately, under the assumption we will be able to get this value from your credit or debit card within the next 24-48 hours. If, for whatever reason, we are unable to access those funds your Autoload will be disabled and the value that was credited to your card will be removed.

In order to add value to your SmartRider balance, you will need to use alternative ‘add value’ methods until you can check your details and reactivate your Autoload.
Why isn't the SmartRider system live?
The SmartRider system is currently a card based system, where the information from your travel is stored on your card. Unfortunately we are unable to keep the Transperth website and app immediately up to date with every transaction that occurs.

The system takes between 12 and 24 hours for your latest transactions and any changes to appear online.
Will removing a SmartRider from my account hotlist the card?
No, this will simply mean that it is no longer linked to that particular My Account.

Any Autoload, SmartParker or Bike Shelter registrations will remain active on the SmartRider card.

If you would like to report your card as lost or stolen and have it hotlisted please contact the InfoLine on 13 62 13.
How do I order a replacement card while I am still in school?
If you damage or lose your SmartRider you will need to order a new SmartRider.

You will need to go through the same process as when you received your initial SmartRider card.

For example, if your card was issued by your school you will need to speak to your school to order a new one. Or if you ordered your card through the online system you can also order your replacement here.
My highschool SmartRider has an expiry date, what does this mean?
This expiry date relates to the concession entitlement to the student fare you receive while you are in high school. Once the expiry date passes your SmartRider will revert to a standard SmartRider and you will be charged standard fares.

Before this date you can apply to have a new concession on your card, such as a Health Care Card or tertiary concession if you are continuing your studies at an eligible institution.
Service Updates